Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cloud Nine Anyone?

Things are flowing well today and I'm just soaking it up (for when they don't later). Several reasons for this are stacked up one on top of the other, and I'm loving the weight of carrying it around!

I feel as though God has just paved the path through the school system where Joel and Seth and their special needs are concerned. We have had nothing but good relations since Seth began special ed. in the Early Childhood area. He has always received the services he needs without us even having to ask for them; in fact, they have offered to us more than we even thought he needed. That's pretty unheard of.

He now has a kindergarten teacher who is an absolute slice of heaven on earth for him and his needs. She has so delicately yet effectively learned how to work with him and help him integrate and transition into the class that he is happy and thriving.

She has called me several times to ease my mind and tell me how he's progressing, and yesterday she gave me a glowing report. The things she said showed me that she is taking the time and effort to know him. That means so much to me. It would be so easy for a teacher to do the bare minimum to try and keep him in line in class and follow his IEP. It is because of people like her in his life these last three years since his autism diagnosis that he has come so far.

On Joel's side, I met with his school yesterday about what needs to be done for him with his ADD, his mood disorder diagnosis and borderline Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis. The counselor was awesome. I wanted to hug her and invite her to Thanksgiving dinner.

Basically there is one more piece of testing the school requires in addition to the testing he had in the spring in order to "officially" have him logged in the system with an IEP or Section 504 plan. These will, in essence, give teachers a plan to follow to deal with his issues and help them understand his needs to provide the best learning environment for him.

What she says regarding Joel and what they are already doing for him tells me that they already know him and are working to make his days go as well as possible.

You know that old adage it takes a village to raise a child? Well, in the case of my boys, it really does feel that way. And I am so grateful that God has placed my children, so far, in all the right places with all the right people to maximize their outcomes.

And the cherry on top of this great day? I have been excused from jury duty! I was supposed to show up Monday and was dreading it for scheduling reasons (with Seth). Now I don't have to worry about it.

Yay! I wonder how I could make this day just go on and on ...

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased to hear of "the system" working well - especially for my precious nephews!

    Bask in the sunshine of a good day. ;)

    ReplyDelete