Monday, August 18, 2008

What A Pleasant Surprise!

As you know, I am not. a morning. person. NOT. But God is working on me. Now that school has started back up, our new routine is coming forth. Or more specifically, my new routine. And it's a pleasant surprise. I have prayed about it, but I didn't really think I would feel a turn-around in my attitude this quickly.

Why do I doubt God like that?

There has opened up a nice pocket of time for me. Like the sweet spot you hit after you've taken a few bites of a Carmello candy bar, like coming to the whipped cream inside of a Ding Dong.

After Joel (10) gets on the bus in the morning at the crazy time of 6:45, I have until 7:45 or so until Alexx (17) comes downstairs (and only then for a few minutes before leaving for school), and then sometimes another half hour or so until Seth (5) wanders down. Wow.

What has opened up is a beautiful, uninterrupted time slot for my "morning appointment with God". During last school year, mornings were rushed and I had about a 20-minute window to spend with my Bible and in prayer before my homeschool day with Alexx began. It was never, ever enough time - and the rest of the day flew by.

Now I have plenty of time. I am in the middle of a year-long study of women of the Bible (AWESOME book!), as well as my "Mom's devotional Bible" - both are great food for the female soul.

I have always tried to carve out time before my day starts for my appointment with God. It's amazing how different my attitude and actions are when I make this a priority. So right now, I'm replacing the complaining about the crazy early bus pick-up time with gratitude.
Please remind me of this in a few months when it's dark, cold, and I just want to stay cuddled up in my warm bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment