Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Love Cranberries!

I realize I've neglected posting recipes, like I was asked to do, so here is one of my favorites. And not only is it one of my favorites, it's one I get requests for - especially around the holidays.

I give it away on platters all the time - especially to my kids' teachers. And it's easy!

Cranberry Orange Loaf

¼ C. margarine or butter
1 C. white sugar
1 egg
¾ C. orange juice
2 C. all-purpose flour
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 T. grated orange zest (Imperative! Don't leave this out!)
1 ½ C. fresh or frozen cranberries
½ C. pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional, of course)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in orange zest, cranberries, and nuts. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter or margarine, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in juice. Pour in flour mixture, stirring until moistened. Scape into a greased 9” x 5” loaf pan.

Bake for 1 hour, (may have to cover with foil last 10 minutes if top gets too brown). Let stand 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. You say you love cranberries - Check out this recipe!! :)

    Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Chardonnay and Orange Zest
    Serves 8 to 10
    This tart sauce has a hint of spice that enriches the flavor of the cranberries. Serve with turkey and dressing or spoon it over ice cream, yogurt, pancakes or waffles.

    Ingredients
    10 ounces (about 3 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 cup dry chardonnay
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Method
    In a small pot, combine cranberries, chardonnay, sugar, zest, ginger and nutmeg, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher or whisk, mash sauce until most of the cranberries pop. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes more. Serve hot or room temperature.

    ENJOY!!

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo - that sounds good! I'm definitely trying that. I LOVE cranberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete